Thursday, May 1, 2008

Musings....

Work over the last couple of weeks has been very, very good. I really like my job; in fact, I am happier now than I've been in a very long time. My job is going extremely well and I seem to have found my little spot there. I love the satisfaction I'm feeling from a job well done...and the money doesn't hurt, either.

Here are some things I've observed in the last few weeks:

Managers with little or no experience who have absolutely no clue about their job description and choose to fill their time micro managing people who do know what their job description is and need no instruction.

Amazing cooks with great personalities who, for some reason or another, cannot read tickets anymore.

Other servers who are table hogs.

District managers who also have very little to no serving experience who institute a "no section rotation" rule so that competition is way more stiff. I feel that this is a very unfair practice, however, I have learned to live with it.


That's just a few of my complaints, but I do have more positive things to say. For one thing, I have been there long enough now to recognize that we pretty much see the same people day after day. We have so many regulars who come in and sit at the counter and talk to us. I really enjoy that. If I have time, I make my rounds and say hello to all the regulars, even if they're not in my section. They seem to appreciate that.

So, it's going great and the money is pretty good, although some days are definitely better than others. I get compliments all the time from customers about how much they liked their service and that means a lot to me. I usually make about 24-25% of my sales on average, and I feel that's pretty good. Now, if only I wasn't so stiff and sore after work every day......

No comments: