Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Let The Fun Begin!

Well, my training period is over. According to The Restaurant, I have learned everything I will need to know about being a server there. My first day on the floor? Easter Sunday, 8AM-3PM shift.

I was very nervous but prepared, because I had spoken to the manager the day before and I asked her to put me in a small section. She assured me she would and then told me that it was going to be a ten server floor anyway, so everyone's sections would be small, and that she would put me between two people that she knew would help me.

Part of my training was to be a hostess for a couple of days, and learn the floor breakdown and how they rotate by turns. I have hostessed before, when I was a server years ago, so I wasn't at all nervous. I should have been. Every sever at The Restaurant is a table hog. They absolutely would not let me seat their tables! There's nothing wrong with wanting to work, but often times they take it upon themselves to skip rotation and hang out by the door with menus when it is slow, so that they can be the first to greet the customers and seat them in their section. On Easter Sunday, we actually had someone in to host all day so I didn't worry about getting any tables. I should have.

It was kind of slow, so this led to me not getting any tables until around 9. Then we had a little rush and it stayed busy for about an hour or so, and then it slowed right down. Everyone was getting a head start on their side work, anticipating an early cut, and hanging out by the door. So I began doing the same, and seating my own tables in my own section. Don't get me wrong...I love working with people who actually work, but it's not fair to seat yourself three times in a row while there are other people who haven't had tables for twenty minutes. The manager didn't cut anyone until 1:30, and she cut me last, which I appreciated. I didn't do too bad at all for a ten server floor on a slow day, actually, but now I know I should probably be a little bit more vigilant on seating my own tables.

Because I got hired at the beginning of the pay period, thus being put on the same schedule as my trainer, I don't work again until Saturday morning. They make the schedule on Sunday so I'm sure I'll get more shifts next time around, but I am ready to get back to work. I really enjoyed myself the other day. My customers were all pretty great, even the six top whose order I screwed up just a little. Their kids were small, but adorable, not brats, and very well behaved. They had great attitudes about waiting for their food and they tipped me well. They kind of made my day. That and bonding with co workers as an actual server. Even though some of them are table hogs, they've been very nice and helpful to me. I have realized that they do bitch a lot, mostly about each other, but they're still helpful to each other. I know I have a lot more to learn, but right now I do not regret this decision at all.

No comments: